The masterclass will give participants the opportunity to develop an understanding of how Trenchless Technology can provide a faster, more accurate and safer alternative to traditional construction and rehabilitation methods.
The course, being led by Blair Telfer of ProjectMax, will particularly focus on techniques including horizontal directional drilling, microtunnelling, pipe bursting, pipe rehabilitation and CCTV.
Participants will learn how to assess if Trenchless Technology can help achieve their project constraints and relieve community and local authority legislative pressures.
The masterclass is aimed at contractors, clients and consultants from the water, wastewater, gas, power, sewage, and telecommunications industries, who may be responsible for projects involving the planning, design, maintenance and installation of underground infrastructure.Article continues below…
Topics for the masterclasses will include:
- Overview of the various Trenchless Technologies
- Discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of each technique, their suitability for specific projects and the risks associated with each technique
- Installation of new pipes using horizontal directional drilling, microtunneling and pipe ramming
- Rehabilitation of existing pipes using pipe bursting, CIPP, Spiral Winding, patch repairs and grouting
- Rehabilitation of man-entry and pressure pipes
- Outline of investigations that should be completed before construction works begin
- Design factors that should be considered for projects involving Trenchless Technology
- Considerations for selecting techniques and contractors
- Discussion of considerations when supervising the construction of works.
Participants will also examine case studies where Trenchless Technology has failed, explaining the reasons why:
- The technique(s) selected were not suitable for the situation
- The wrong equipment was used
- The investigative works were inadequate
- The risks of the project were not fully understood.
And also providing suggestions for how different techniques could have been used for a better outcome.
Teachings will be in the form of lectures, case studies, group discussions, practical exercises and video material.
Course Leader – Blair Telfer, ProjectMax
Blair Telfer is a Chartered Professional Engineer and Director of ProjectMax, a consulting engineering company that specialises in Trenchless Technology. Blair has been involved in the water and wastewater industry in various roles for the past 17 years, and currently leads a team specialising in Trenchless Technology projects.
Blair has a wealth of experience in trenchless underground utility installation and rehabilitation, understanding the practicalities and issues involved with the physical installation or rehabilitation of services.
He is also fully versed in managing assets, including preparing and undertaking condition assessment programs and strategies for the optimal replacement, upgrading, rehabilitation and maintenance of pipe networks. Blair’s experience, having been both a principal and contractor, enables him to understand the constraints and drivers of trenchless projects. He is perfectly placed to consider the needs of all parties to ensure a successful trenchless project outcome.