From the magazine, HDD

Certification and VOCs

I’ve had a lot of enquiries recently about the relationship between verification of competence (VOCs) and national qualifications such as Certificate III in Drilling Operations, which is the trade-level qualification for a driller.

Both relate to the individual person who holds them, not to the company that employs him/her. Anyone working in the industry is eligible to apply.

A VOC states that an operator is competent in the safety aspects and operational aspects of HDD machines at a particular strength of pulling force, in unconsolidated (OTR) or harder formations, using certain guidance systems and fluid systems. It’s a very specific area of competence, and assists in permission to work and to tender. Assessment must be undertaken by a person with specific skills in HDD.

A national qualification is a certificate in the skills and knowledge that a person needs to work in a particular job. A much wider demonstration of competence is needed than for a VOC. It is issued to a person who has been successfully assessed against the National Industry Competency Standards required for that qualification.

Qualifications available are sector-specific Certificates I, II, III and IV, and Diploma and an industry-wide Advanced Diploma for senior managers. If a tender indicates that personnel are required to hold relevant qualifications, this is what’s meant.

ADITC provides national qualifications for drilling, both by training (for new employees) and by formal assessment processes for people who have experience in the industry. Distance learning is available for personnel who are new to the industry and working in it. The process of assessment is either carried out on-the-job with a qualified industry assessor, or through a recognised prior learning process involving the preparation of a portfolio outlining the participant’s experience in drilling.

Once the assessment or portfolio has been audited by a registered training organisation (such as ADITC), a Certificate in Drilling is issued. ADITC issues a National Qualification Card at the same time.

Incomplete qualifications will receive a Statement of Attainment, which is a formal record of units completed successfully. Training can continue at a later date until a full qualification is achieved.

How they fit together

A VOC assessment outcome, for example done by Trenchless Advisor, provides some of the evidence you need for the national qualification. It is a valuable contribution towards showing competence in all the other aspects of the job. To get the full national qualification you will also need to provide evidence of your skills in the other areas required for the qualification.

Send this to a friend